The promised update on the results of my project4now experiment follows, but first a photo of the completed project is in order.
Now then, as a reminder, I decided to challenge myself by using different materials and assembly methods in this project. Those challenge-experiments are presented here with results noted in italics.
- Wonky pre-printed block fabric as top (straight of grain is often distorted since pattern is not woven into the material) – this required studying the fabric before cutting into it to determine which section of the whole yardage was the least ‘wonky’ then layout/stitching proceeded with an eye for fudging printed straight lines into actual straight lines (hard to explain); luckily pattern was pretty close to straight of grain.
- Cotton/Polyester batting (more like traditional low-loft batting) – this was a joy to machine quilt as it lies well under the needle (brand name: Fairfield Quilter’s 80/20).
- Quilt-sized backing fabric (eliminates need for piecing) – color and design choices are limited, but I was able to match one of the colors in the quilt block design; this is a fantastic convenience that is worth the extra money (in this instance, I got it on sale with an additional coupon reduction!)
- All materials NOT pre-washed (launder after completed to see how this method differs) – the biggest problem I noticed was that the two fabrics used in this project had different levels of sizing therefore the hand-feel of the completed quilt was not uniform; however, I like how it came out of the dryer all ‘cuddly and crinkly’ so I think I’ll continue to pre-wash my fabrics before starting a project, then wash the quilt again after it is completed.
- Combination spray basting and hand basting – this is now my default method and I highly recommend it; the spray basting did not gunk up my needle during construction and left no undesirable stiffness in the completed quilt after washing (brand name: June Taylor).
- Machine quilt using properly installed walking foot (!) – the most frustrating aspect to this was not the actual process of machine quilting, but managing the bulk of the quilt as it is being sewn; I do like this as a quilting option.
- Adjust borders to accommodate finished size – only added side borders, leaving the binding of entire quilt to act as a frame around the top & bottom; I like how it turned out, but only in this application as a throw.
- Create label documentation using machine stitching of info directly onto quilt – again, I like how this turned out, but only in application as a throw; I would have used a larger font, but only one text size is available on my machine.