In these days before Irma’s impending impact upon this evacuation city of Florence, South Carolina, I have been overly sensitive to the fact that we will not be here during her arrival. Instead, we will be ‘going through Irma’ while driving on-the-road to Colorado.
Already this town’s hotel rooms are filling up with evacuees from Florida, leaving less space available for later local evacuees coming from areas such as Myrtle Beach.
Irma is a very real threat, especially in light of Harvey’s tirade. Residents here are keenly aware of the dangers ahead. Yet our own prepping for it involves continuing with our travel plans. A form of voluntary evacuation, if you will – though hardly intended as such. Also as of this writing a new twist has been added to the mix: a resemblance to this area’s worst hurricane on record, that of Hugo in 1989. Hugo landed inland and did his damage as if the midlands of the Pee Dee were the Carolina coastal lowlands.
We have just now updated our departure for Saturday afternoon rather than early Sunday morning.
I have been packing for our trip with a slant towards ‘damage control’. In addition to regular travel items, I have been trying to prepare contents within our little rental for possible interior water damage. Guessing at possible damages after an unknown event is quite exhausting.
Being detail oriented, it’s hard to not get bogged down with nits. But bottom line is that I’ll be elevating instruments I’m not taking on the trip for recording sessions on our bed, stacking the banana boxes of stored photos on top of the kitchen table and placing the random pieces of packed artwork on top of chairs.
Last year, while I was busy planning Dad’s funeral in Colorado, hubby was getting ready to embark on the two day drive to join me…from South Carolina. Hurricane Matthew descended upon FloTown more quickly than anticipated, taking everyone by surprise. Hubby’s plan to leave town was instantly upped. He barely left an hour after Matthew hit.
I often lovingly joke that he drove through a hurricane to come be with me.
The priorities in weathering/surviving/enduring a hurricane are: safety first then salvage afterwards. So this trip is our ‘safety’ without it being planned as such and our ‘salvage’ will be delayed due to our trip.
While continuing to work through the long process of settling Dad’s estate, we’ll be ‘going through’ Irma in Colorado – but what will we come back to in three weeks?
One thing’s for sure: we will weather it together – whatever we find.